Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thoughts on friendship

Today is the tenth anniversary of the death of Matthew Shepard. It seems odd that the name of someone most of us never met could evoke so much emotion. So today I was going to write about hate crimes.

In trying to find the right words, I recalled an e-mail conversation (or twelve) I had with Lisa a couple years ago during a unit on hate crimes in a theatre literature class I was taking. I didn't find the e-mails I was looking for. But I did find a plethora of thoughtful, entertaining, deeply moving, and goofy exchanges between me and my best friend. All I can say is thank God for the blessing of friendship. In all the randomness of our daily interaction with the other people bouncing around the world, who could guess that a couple lunatics who irritated each other in a cinder block bank drive-thru would, eight years later, be best friends. I think the despair.com demotivator says it best:



Thanks Lisa.

As for hate crimes...I'll have to blog about that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Princess Lisa said...

I'm thinking I remind you of hate crimes, due to my intense hatred towards others. Whatever the case, I was touched by the post.

I marvel that you and I are so close today, considering our beginnings. If someone had told me that you and I would be this close...I would have thought the exhaust fumes from the drive-up were contaminating their brain.

Punishment or not, you were definitely meant to be my best friend.