Sunday, July 13, 2008

If a tree falls in the woods...

...and it lands on a blogger whose blog nobody reads, does that blog exist?

I was just thinking about the concept of blogging. It's like leaving your diary on the coffee table (next to the Broadway Bares book). I've never been good at journaling. Actually, I have four or five journals from years ago when I thought I should keep a journal. Each of them begins with thoughtful entries, covering as much as a month or two of my life...usually less. And the rest of each journal is blank. Five to ten pages of insight into who I am on paper (not really who I am, but who I'm willing to be for future generations...snort), followed by a hundred blank pages.

Interestingly, I wouldn't let anyone read the five good pages, much less a journal with REAL insight. And I think most real journalers are (were) the same way. Then came the blogs. Now everybody has a blog. People pour their innermost thoughts, feelings, ambitions, fears into these very public forums. And the funny thing is that NOBODY READS THEM! I could put my journal on the coffee table next to the Broadway Bares book, but who in their right mind is gonna choose the journal over the big book with cool pictures? Seriously.

1 comment:

Princess Lisa said...

The answer is YES, the blog still exists. But it won't continue to update itself if the blogger dies from before mentioned tree falling.

It's a bizarre thing about having diaries and not wanting anyone to read them...but then we give our blogs to everyone we come in contact with!!!

I have my public blog, but I actually have two other blogs that are private, that I don't allow access to. Because they are my journals...in a way...